The student news site of Saint Patrick High School

Green and Gold

Keeping the gold in Green and Gold

The Shamrock soccer team after their regional championship win.

Finn Elsmo, '18, Editor

It is no secret that Saint Patrick High School has been struggling to win trophies in all sports for the past few years, especially soccer.

In 2014 the squad was taken over by Coach Kyle McClure, who made the promise of turning the soccer program in to a championship winning side. While the players hoped he could do it, most of them had their doubts. He felt one of the best ways to make this turn around possible was to recruit players who played club soccer.

Chris Modrzjewski ’18; Nate Anderson ’18; Finn Elsmo ’18; Herbert Carrera ’19; Nathan Laboe ’19 and Diego Rivera ’19 were all club soccer players Coach McClure brought into Saint Patrick’s who played and helped out the varsity squad over the next two years. They were the start of the turn around, but still more was needed to make the Shamrocks a title-winning squad.

“I always believed that Coach McClure would be able to turn the program around, I just had no idea he would do it in the time that I went here. We have a really tight squad, and he’s the reason,” said Modrzjewski.

After winning just two games his first year and four his second, McClure found freshman who could fill in the open gaps in the team.

Enter Luis Saucedo, ’20; Angel (Richie) Adame, ’20; Jonathan (Pollo) Rodriguez, ’20; Sebastian (Bash) Modrzjewski, ’20, and Aaron Moreno – Lopez, ’20. With the addition of these incredibly talented players Coach McClure was able to fulfill his promise.

The 2016 fall season featured the Saint Patrick soccer program winning 13 games, 3rd place in the Lasallian Cup, and the first regional championship the soccer program has seen in 8 years, and the third one in history.

Not only did they have a very successful regular season, but the team continued showing their dominance in a Monday high school indoor league. The two squads that compete from Saint Patrick both made it to the finals,earning the Rocks first and second place.

The team also plays every Friday in a highly competitive and physical men’s league.