The student news site of Saint Patrick High School

Green and Gold

Cubs ready for 2017 season

Dan Sliva, '18, Staff Reporter

For the first time in 108 years, the Chicago Cubs won the World Series last October against the Cleveland Indians, thus ending the longest drought in sports history. The Cubs were perceived to be one of the best teams in the MLB last year, and now with the season opener coming up very soon, many are wondering if they will keep up the heat in 2017.

The Cubs made a decent amount of roster changes during the offseason. A key player that they signed this year include John Jay. Jay is a center fielder who bats 2.87. He has played for the Cardinals and Padres. The core player-base from last year has mostly remained the same.

Kyle Schwarber, a left-fielder, will also be playing this year. Schwarber injured his knee very badly early in the season last year but returned and played in the World Series last year. He is expected to perform very well this year, and his spring training numbers are really solidifying that claim.

“Schwarber back is basically like signing a big name free agent since we didn’t have him last year,” said Anthony Pasquale, ’18.

In terms of pitchers, the Cubs have mostly the same core starters. A few pick ups include Wade Davis, Koji Uehara, Brian Deunsing, and a few more. Aroldis Chapman, the 100 mph plus pitcher was traded back to the Yankees during the offseason.

Dexter Fowler, the Cubs leadoff man that hit a home run in Game 7 last year, is no longer on the team.

David Ross, the beloved catcher who also hit a home run in Game 7, retired this year. He is still involved in the Cubs organization, as he has a front office role in 2017.

Willson Contreras and Miguel Montero will catch this year.

Overall, many have high hopes for this upcoming season. “I think they will make another good run this year”, said Eric Lis, ’18.

The Cubs seem to still have a very solid team this year, and hopefully they will be a good team for many years to come.