The student news site of Saint Patrick High School

Green and Gold

NFL protests reach new heights

INDIANAPOLIS, IN - SEPTEMBER 24:  Members of the Indianapolis Colts stand and kneel for the national anthem prior to the start of the game between the Indianapolis Colts and the Cleveland Browns at Lucas Oil Stadium on September 24, 2017 in Indianapolis, Indiana.  (Photo by Michael Reaves/Getty Images)

INDIANAPOLIS, IN - SEPTEMBER 24: Members of the Indianapolis Colts stand and kneel for the national anthem prior to the start of the game between the Indianapolis Colts and the Cleveland Browns at Lucas Oil Stadium on September 24, 2017 in Indianapolis, Indiana. (Photo by Michael Reaves/Getty Images)

Getty Images

Getty Images

Jeffrey Schultz, '20, Staff Reporter

Thirteen months ago, Colin Kaepernick, quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers, sat in protest during the National Anthem. The following week, Kaepernick then kneeled in protest for the National Anthem.

Following his actions, he was asked why he did what he did and he said, “I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag or a country that oppresses black people, and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football, and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street, and people getting paid leave, and getting away with murder.”

Kaepernick was cut by the 49ers and is currently a free agent.

Now other teams are following in his footsteps, protesting in the same manner as he once did. Recently, during week 3, the Jaguars played the Ravens and all players from both teams locked arms. Many other teams have done the same. Also, on September 28, the Bears played the Packers and both teams locked arms with their hand over their chests during the anthem.

Essentially, there are about 1,600 players in the NFL, and almost all of them locked arms and/or kneeled during the National Anthem. Many fans think that this is mostly about racism and not patriotism because shootings have elevated and racial tensions have risen.

Some fans, however, have taken offense to this, especially veterans. Some fans have even began burning their season tickets.

Due to these protests, ratings and ticket sales are down. The ability to watch a game not involving your cities’ team has also gotten harder.

Ultimately, the NFL protests are still going to be debated by many and will continue to offend fans and damage ticket sales if these issues won’t change.