Green and Gold

NBA players speak out about NCAA

The new NCAA logo that was painted on the Concordia University basketball court in Irvine on Friday, May 19, 2017. The university will become the only NCAA Division II school in Orange County when their membership becomes official in July.(Photo by Paul Rodriguez, Orange County Register/SCNG)

Staff Photographer

Staff Photographer

Joshua Allen, '18 and Editor

Sports is something that a majority of people in this world are entertained by, especially with college sports. The issue of the NCAA not compensating the student athlete has always been a debate.

The March Madness tournament brings the organization a lot of money, but none is given to the student athletes.  It is no secret that the NCAA makes billions of dollars off of this tournament.

Recently NBA stars Lebron James and Carmelo Anthony have called out the NCAA.

“I am not a fan of the NCAA,” said James. “The NCAA is corrupt, we know that. Sorry, it’s going to make headlines, but it’s corrupt,” he continued.

James has been in the NBA since he was eighteen years old and, therefore, did not attend college. At the time when he was drafted, players who were really good and heavily recruited, had the ability to go straight from high school to the NBA. This rule was eventually changed to where players had to at least play one year in college in order to go to the NBA.

For business reasons,the NCAA wanted to have the best players from high school to play for them to increase their revenue. There are many instances where players actually received money. On some occasions, players will receive money from alumni. If a player accepts the money, the player would be suspended or removed from the team, but at that point it does not matter because they know they have the ability to go pro.

College players have expressed that they are putting their bodies on the line, selling out games, bringing in a lot of money and should be compensated.

Anthony, who attended the University of Syracuse, agrees with James. “I’m all for the athletes. I think we need to figure something out for college as a whole”.