Green and Gold

Top 10 Movies of 2017

Finn Elsmo, '18, Editor

Every year I look forward to making my top ten movie list; however, when it comes time to actually make it, I find myself torn over what films I want to put on the final compilation. This year was no different.

There are a few movies I have to leave off the list, even though I enjoyed immensely.

Those films are: “Gerald’s Game” (Directed by Mike FLanagan); “Ingrid Goes West” (Directed by Matt Spicer); “Get Out” (Directed by Jordan Peele); “Lady Bird” (Directed by Greta Gerwig) and “The Big Sick” (Directed by Michael Showalter.)

It pains me to leave these movies off the list. They are all triumphs, and if you have the chance to see one, take it.
That being said, let’s hop into the actual list.

10. “The Killing of a Sacred Deer”
Directed by Yorgos Lanthimos (Director of “The Lobster” from my 2016 list), “The Killing of a Sacred Deer” is a beautifully twisted piece of art. Without giving anything away, the film focuses on a doctor named Steven (Colin Farrell) who finds himself in a real life nightmare when a young man named Martin (Barry Keoghan) threatens his family in a very serious way. This is a film that will be better if you go in knowing as little information as possible. The story takes infinite twists and turns, as Lanthimos’ films usually do, and grips the viewer from the opening piece of music. Barry Keoghan steals the show with a powerhouse performance. The ending of the film is genuinely brilliant, and I recommend it to anyone who appreciates art house cinema. “The Killing of a Sacred Deer” receives a 8.5/10.

9. “The Disaster Artist”
James Franco directs and stars in one of the most interesting bio pics I have ever seen–“The Disaster Artist”. For those who don’t know, “The Disaster Artist” was originally a book, written by Greg Sestereo, about what it was like to work with the most confusing man in cinema… Tommy Wiseau. More specifically, what it was like to work on “The Room,” which is widely regarded as the best worst movie of all time. This movie was masterfully preformed. James Franco, Dave Franco, and Seth Rogen all portrayed their characters perfectly. What I appreciate most about this movie is the way it switches your emotions throughout the run time. At times you hate Tommy, and at other you sympathize with him. My only flaw with it is that there is no real sense of style. James Franco did not do anything spectacular in terms of directing. However, I had a blast watching this movie.
“The Disaster Artist” receives an 8.5/10.

8. “Three Bill Boards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”
Directed by Martin McDonagh “Three Bill Boards outside Ebbing, Missouri” features some of the best performances of they year from Sam Rockwell and Frances McDormand (both won oscars for their roles.) The two of them are the clear stand outs in this movie. The writing is the part of the movie I struggle with the most. On one hand, I want to praise it for an incredible story that is so unique, however, on the other, I felt it was awkward at some points. During some very intense scenes there is unnecessary humor, that really did not work for me. Taking that away, it is beautifully directed and has one of the most captivating opening ten minutes I have ever seen in any film. The high points in this film are genuinely incredible, however there are a few scenes that drag it down for me. I really enjoyed this movie, but I wanted to love it.
“Three Bill Boards Outside Ebbing, Missouri” receives a 8.4/10 (The Performances are what pushed it above the other two)

7. “Baby Driver”
Directed by Edgar Wright, “Baby Driver” is one of my favorite action films of all time. The visuals leap of the screen, and the way the action fits the music is nothing short of a triumph. Jon Hamm and Kevin Spacey (disregarding his personal life) really shine in this. However, the real star of “Baby Driver” is the dialogue written by Edgar Wright. The conversations between characters are so captivating that I found myself stunned by even the most casual conversations. This film has given me some of my favorite lines in movie history. I see this film becoming a classic.
“Baby Driver” receives an 8.7/10

6. Raw
DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE IF YOU ARE EASILY SCARED OR GROSSED OUT!
Julia Ducournau wrote and directed “Raw,” a french coming- of- age film about a young woman, Justine, discovering that she is a cannibal. This is a brilliantly executed and performed story. It’s messed up in all of the right ways, and at times it’s so ridiculous it has a humorous tone. Garance Marillier is electric as Justine, and shows the struggle of her character accepting who she is immaculately. This movie was released in France in late 2016, however, it was not available in the United States until 2017, making it eligible for my list. My only flaw with the film is the last shot, and all of the questions it raises, other than that I absolutely fell in love with “Raw.”
“Raw” receives an 8.8/10

5. “Good Time”
Benny and Josh Safdie’s passion project “Good Time” centers on a man named Connie (Robert Pattinson,) who will stop at nothing to get his mentally handicapped brother Nick (Benny Safdie) out of jail. This film follows Connie all throughout one horrible night, and it is one of the most unique films I have ever seen. The presentation of this movie is absolutely breath-taking. The film is very unpredictable, and builds suspense with such class. This film also features an absolutely brilliant from non other than Robert Pattinson. I never was a fan of his, but this movie really changed my opinion. With the right role, and proper direction, he can be electric. I was genuinely surprised with his work, so much so I was very disappointed when he didn’t receive an Oscar nomination for best actor. More people need to see this movie.
“Good Time” receives an 8.8/10

4. “Ma vie de Courgette” (My Life as a Zuchinni)
Claude Barras directed this absolutely breath taking french claymation about a boy nick-named Courgette (Zuchinni) who recently lost his mother, and is placed in a home with children whose parents have either past away, or been declared unfit to raise the children. During his stay he forms some really beautiful relationships, resulting in one of the most heart-breaking and heart-warming films I have ever seen. For starters, the claymation is gorgeous. It is truly something to behold. The writing is perfect, its both so simple and so complex, and captivates the viewer from the opening scene. This film is a real gem, its on netlflix now, highly recommend you set aside the 67 minutes to watch it.
“Ma Vie de Courgette” receives a 9/10

3. Call Me By Your Name
Luca Guadagnino’s master piece “Call Me by your Name” is about a 17 year old boy Elio (Timothee Chalamet) who falls in love with his dads student Oliver (Armie Hammer.) And thats the whole plot of the movie. The whole run time is filled with their relationship blossoming, and finding out who they really are. What makes this movie so great is the performances, writing, and directing. Timothee Chalamet is the future of acting, and I was absolutely gutted when he didn’t win at the golden globes or the oscars. However, James Ivory did win for best adapted screenplay, and it was well deserved. These characters feel so real that the audience member sees them as real people, and not just actors playing a role. This movie is gorgeous, and if you haven’t seen it, you are doing yourself a disservice.
Call me by Your Name receives an 9.5/10

2. “It Comes at Night”
“It Comes at Night,” written and directed by Trey Edward Schults, is one of the most misunderstood films of this generation. This movie is a masterpiece. It centers on a family living in a world where a extremely contagious disease has wiped out most of society. They have to follow very strict rules in order to guarantee their survival, however, all of their routines are blemished when another family finds them, and asks to join them. This is a brilliantly acted, written and directed motion picture. Joel Edgerton and Christopher Abbot give two of my favorite performances of the year. You can tell that all they want to do is keep their families safe, and will do anything to ensure that happens. The camera work is exquisite, I was shocked when I learned that this was only Schults’ second film. The littler said about this movie the better. DONT WATCH THE TRAILER, and just go into the movie ready to think. I promise you will not be disappointed.
“It Comes at Night” 9.9/10

1. “A Ghost Story”
“A Ghost Story” is the most beautiful film I have seen in my entire life. Both in terms of visuals and story. Directed by David Laury, this film centers on a man who dies unexpectedly. He stays on earth as a ghost under a white cloak and simply observes everything move on without him. Its heart-breaking and thought provoking. Rooney Mara us breath taking, and I can’t rave enough about the stylistic choices. This movie is certainly not for everyone, but if you are passionate about cinema, I guarantee you will fall in love with it just as I did.
“A Ghost Story” is easily a 10/10