Green and Gold

Mark Zuckerberg testified before Congress

Here's how he got there

Mark Zuckerberg answering questions from congress on April 10

George Ohanessian, ‘19, Staff Reporter

The CEO of Facebook Mark Zuckerberg testified before Congress April 10 and 11 after an estimated 87 million users had their data and information improperly shared to Cambridge Analytica, but this isn’t the first time that Zuckerberg has been under fire for privacy concerns surrounding Facebook.Here is a timeline of some important privacy and data controversies in Facebooks history:

February 2004-Zuckerberg launches “The Facebook” from his Harvard dorm room.

September 2006-Facebook launches the news feed.This gave users the opportunity to see all of the changes and uploads made by their friends without having to search through each of their friends profiles to look for updates.Many users were upset that all of their updates were displayed to their friends, but this outcry eventually died down and the  news feed helped the platform in the long run.

Decemeber 2007-Facebook launched Beacon.This program tracked users purchases and notified their friends of what they had bought,most times, without their consent.This upset users because they felt that their privacy was being breached.Facebook later apologized and gave users the option to opt out of the program.

June 2013- A Facebook bug exposed around 6 million users private data and information without the knowledge of the users.This happened after Facebook implemented programs to help users connect with mutual friends when they uploaded their contacts to the website.Facebook responded by notifying the users whose data was leaked and fixing the bug after apologizing publicly.

April 2015-It was revealed that Facebook allowed apps to take almost any data from Facebook users, and their friends when the app was authorized through Facebook.Facebook then revised its app policy and restricted the information that was obtainable for app creators.

April 2018-Zuckerberg agrees to testify before American polititians. The sharing of private information was addressed along with many other points including political bias, hate speech, and many other controversial topics.

Some information taken from www.cnbc.com.