Green and Gold

‘Isle of Dogs’ is unique, yet underwhelming

Finn Elsmo , '18, Editor

Wes Anderson is arguably one of the best directors of all time. He has made excellent movies all through his career with nine out of eleven of his directorial efforts being certified fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. Not to mention, he is in my personal top 5 directors of all time, so my hopes were very high for this one.

“Isle of Dogs” is Wes Anderson’s second stop-motion animated film (“Fantastic Mr. Fox” (2009) being the first.) The film takes place in Japan, and after a epidemic of a dog-spread disease, Mayor Kobayashi decided to send all dogs to an island where the country has been disposing of their trash.

From this point on, the film focuses on a young man named Atari (Koyu Rankin) traveling to the island and searching for his dog. He is accompanied by a stray dog named by a dog named Chief (Bryan Cranston) on his travels, along with other dogs portrayed by excellent voice talents (Bill Murray, Edward Norton, Scarlett Johansson etc…)

This movie is beautifully crafted. Clearly, so much time and went in to building incredibly complicated sets that are only on screen for a few seconds. Wes Anderson is a master at creating a unique world, and this world is one of his most interesting.

Oddly enough, unlike Anderson’s other movies, I don’t really have much to say about this one. I think it is because the story line is slightly underwhelming. Everything that I thought was going to happen, happened. Unfortunately, I was only half invested in this movie. That may have something to do with the fact that I was sitting next to a crying baby for the entire duration of the film. However, I truly believe that this movie was more style that substance. Luckily, that style is an absolute joy to watch.

I was expecting to love this film, but I ended up liking it. I am really excited to re-watch it, because I feel like it may get an extra point upon a second viewing.

I give “Isle of Dogs” a 7/10.