Faculty Profile: Mr. M. Clark

Charlie Morrisey '20, Features Editor

What made you decide to be a teacher?

The biggest reason why is that my experience of music was so extraordinary that I just wanted to stay a part of music to the point where I could help share it with others to lend that experience with other people. To be able to do that is one of the most proudest moments of my life, including bringing a marching band back from a 10 year hiatus, and music programs up from nothing. I have also been able to help people at a high skill level and getting people to those aha moments is a great thing. 

Why did you come to St. Pat’s?

When I originally moved to Chicago from Michigan it was because I wanted to be close to my friends and work close to them. I went to the archdiocese because it was a way for me to get my foot in the door. I worked at two schools before coming to Saint Patrick, Deerfield, which is now closed, and Waukegan. As a Christian it is a great way to be a part of my faith teaching. I had heard of St. Pat’s and when the opportunity came, I decided to apply. I had heard such good things it is a great honor to be her due to the music program at a high level.

Which class is your favorite and why?

Beginning Band because I am very proud to introduce instrumental music as a skill to people. I like seeing when people have moments when they are grasp their understanding of music for the first time. I also have had the most experience with teaching this class. 

Are you involved in anything else at St. Pats outside of teaching? (coach, moderator, etc)

I am a Member of the Fine Arts Department and participate in other fine arts programs including Theatre. I also collaborate with art. 

What is one thing that students would be surprised to learn about you?

I am a Visual artist and I do creative writing and I have written a book that I finished.  I am a Member of North Shore Concert Band where I am one of the trombone players.