Coach Feature: Coach Csongradi

Kevin Collins '20, Sports Editor

I had the opportunity to interview freshman football assistant coach Paul Csongradi.

What high school and what college did you go to, and when did you graduate?

I went to Saint Patrick High School and graduated in 2012. I went on to Carthage College in Kenosha, WI and graduated in 2016 with a Major in Elementary Education and a minor in STEM. I am currently at Northeastern Illinois obtaining my masters for my principalship.

Have you coached anywhere prior to St. Pat’s?

Before I coached at Shamrock High, I coached sophomore basketball and varsity football at Catalyst Maria Charter School on the south side of Chicago. I have coached wrestling and volleyball at the middle school level. I have also coached track and field at Shamrock High for a cup of coffee.

What do you do for your career, and where have you worked prior to where you work now?

I am a 7th/8th grade science/social studies teacher at Emerson Middle School in District 64 Park Ridge/Niles, IL. Previously, I was an 8th grade math teacher at Catalyst Maria on the south side of Chicago. You don’t work a day in your life if you love what you do.

What is one thing most people would be surprised to know about you?

My greatest passion is it to help other people and be a good person. I believe I am on this earth to help others either through teaching or coaching. I love teaching/coaching because I like to use my experiences and examples to help teach life lessons. I truly love what I do and hope everyone can one day find that path.  I live my life off this quote “It costs $0 to be a nice person.” In a world where everything costs money, being a nice person costs nothing. Just say hello and make someone smile.

What do you love most about saint pats?

Every alumnus I have talked with always has something positive to say about Saint Patrick and how this special place has changed their life. The reason I wanted to coach and teach was because of the teachers and coaches I had at Saint Patrick. The teachers were there to support you through academics and extracurriculars but would also make you responsible for your actions. The coaches had the biggest impact because it didn’t matter if you were a D1 athlete, D3 athlete, or wanted to play because you wanted to be a part of a team, everyone was treated the same; with respect.  I am forever grateful for the teachers and coaches that have helped me write my story. Last thing, no matter what skin color, socioeconomic background, or interests you may have, at the end of the day, we are all Shamrocks. Brothers. NO ONE has the brotherhood like we do.

This is why I love Saint Patrick.