Sophomore Liam MacLellan Makes St. Pat’s History as Cross Country Season is Underway

Jack Perez '21, Sports Writer

The Cross Country season is upon us and the Shamrocks kicked it off with a terrific meet on Tuesday. They finished 2nd as a team in the LPXC Meet, just behind the hosts, Lincoln Park. The Shamrocks had four finishers inside the top 10.

Remy Stafford ‘21 finished in 7th place with a time of 17:59 in his first ever meet. Juan Celio ‘21 and team captain Josh Esquilin ‘21 also put in terrific showings, finishing 4th and 6th respectively, with times of 17:40 and 17:46. The story of the meet was Liam MacLellan ‘23, who ran the 4th fastest 3-mile time in school history. He finished 2nd in the meet with an astonishing personal record time of 16:19.

The team’s brutal schedule saw them run a meet the next day. In the Notre Dame Invitational, the Shamrocks finished 3rd as a team and saw two runners finish in the top 10. Liam finished in 7th place with a time of 17:50. Team captain, Aidan Lewis ‘21, was the other runner to finish in the top 10. In his first meet of the season, Aidan finished in 10th place with a time of 18:18.

The Shamrocks will look to build off their strong start to the season in the Mather Invitational at Legion Park on Tuesday.