Senior Brett Berry to Play Baseball at Augustana

Jack Owens '22, Sports Writer

Every year, hopeful high school athletes make their commitments to further their academic and athletic careers at colleges and universities across the country. This moment, often celebrated with a Signing Day, is the culmination of years of effort and hard work for many student athletes. Although the global pandemic has affected all aspects of the school year as well as sports seasons, St. Pat’s held its third Signing Day celebration this year on Wednesday, February 3. 

While multiple Shamrock athletes have committed to further their academic and athletic careers in college, including seniors Caleb Corro (Basketball, Olivet Nazarene) and Aidan Lewis (Cross Country/Track, Concordia Wisconsin) who participated in Signing Days earlier this year, this day belonged to one athlete. That athlete was senior Brett Berry. Brett officially signed with Augustana College, where he will take his talents on the baseball field next season as a freshman. When asked, Brett was eager to explain his process of choosing a school. 

“I was talking to Augustana, and five or six other schools. I decided Augustana was the best school for me around October,” he shared. “I just decided it was the best school academically and the best fit.” 

I was also able to talk to Brett about how it felt to be recognized for his hard work as a Shamrock as he moved onto the next level.

“It feels good, never thought it would be Augustana and it ended up being Augustana, which is pretty exciting. Waited four years for this, so definitely a good feeling.”

Also present at the ceremony were Shamrock Baseball head coach, Daniel Kusinski ‘75,  as well as the rest of the Berry family and several of his teammates, all equally proud and excited. Coach K had much to say about the player he has helped develop over the past four years, on and off the field. 

”You know, our goal is to see all our students at St. Pat’s reach their potential,” said Coach Kusinski, who also serves as the school’s College Counselor. For student athletes like Brett this may include the opportunity to move on to the next level as a student and an athlete.

“This is a very proud moment for us. I can remember when we brought him [Brett] up to varsity as a freshman,” Coach recalled. “He was very quiet, and now as he’s walking out of here as a senior. You can see him becoming much more assertive on the field and off the field, and I don’t think that growth is going to stop once he’s at Augustana.”

Brett’s father shared the same sentiment regarding Brett’s development, and how proud he feels to see his son rewarded for all his effort. When I asked Mr. Berry how it felt as a father to see his son recognized, he told me about the conversation he had with Brett that morning. 

“I just told him on the ride here, this has been ten years in the making. Tee ball, all the way up to this. Flying all around the country playing travel ball, and all the other hard work that went into getting to play for a school like Augustana. All for this,” Mr. Berry said. “I am very proud of my son.”