Choosing Computer Science as an elective

Jaylen Armenta '22, Technology Editor

Saint Patrick offers a Computer Science elective. With many new job offerings involving computer science, people have the opportunity to learn about computer science and make career choices for their futures.

An interview with a student at Saint Patrick explains why he is taking the elective, “I’m taking this class for college credits,” he said. “And put it on my resume as well.” More people should know how to code as it looks like technology is starting to become the new future. There are many technological influencers like Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, and Mark Zuckerberg that inspired many others to start the technical field of jobs. Most technological jobs have great pay, mostly in the six digits, and all they require is a capable person who knows what he/she is doing. This makes computer science interesting and opens a whole new world that people never knew about.

Many elementary schools introduce young students to coding, which is a great start for their future. According to code.org, by the end of 2018 there were approximately 36 million students taking code courses. It does not hurt to take computer science. It can grant more opportunities for the future and help students get into a university or college. Many teachers and schools need to understand that technology is the new future, and coding classes should be included in every school in America at this point. It will only benefit both parties from teachers and students.

1. Why did you choose to take computer science?

“I chose it because it looks cool”

2. Are you taking this class for a college course? Or are you trying it out?

“I’m taking this class for college credits, and put it on my resume as well”

3. Have you had any experience with coding before taking the class?

“Yes during grammar school, I had coding.org as a coding class.