Democrats nominate Biden, Republicans nominate Trump for 2020 Election

Aidan Lewis '21, News Editor

The 2020 Presidential election is officially in full gear as the Democrats nominated Joe Biden and the Republicans nominated incumbent President Donald Trump. The Democratic National Convention began Monday, August 17 and finished Thursday, August 20. The convention planned to meet at the Wisconsin Center in Milwaukee, Wisconsin; however, due to the coronavirus pandemic, scrapped the plans to meet in-person and instead held a virtual convention. Speakers from all fifty states and seven U.S. territories formally nominated former Vice President Joe Biden for President. Among the speakers were former President Barack Obama, former First Lady Michelle Obama, Senator Bernie Sanders, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, and prominent Republican leaders, including former Secretary of State Colin Powell.

At the convention, Biden officially accepted the Democratic nomination for President of the United States while Senator Kamala Harris (D-California) officially accepted the Vice President nomination. In his acceptance speech, Biden called for national unity amid protests of racial injustice that have swept the country since the police killing of African American George Floyd on May 25 in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

The Republican National Convention began on Monday, August 24 and concluded on Thursday, August 27. Incumbent President Donald J. Trump officially accepted the Republican nomination for President of the United States while Vice President Mike Pence accepted the nomination for his same position. Speakers at the Republican convention included Senator Tim Scott, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, and Senator Rand Paul. During the convention, limited in-person events were held in Charlotte, North Carolina, while Trump gave his acceptance speech from the White House. In his speech, Trump promised to “build the greatest economy in history” in his second term.

The 2020 election will be held on Tuesday, November 3, and will ultimately decide the future of the United States.

For ongoing coverage of the 2020 presidential election, stay tuned to The Green and Gold Student News Site at https://thegreenandgold.net.