Trendel’s Big Return

Michael White '21, School News Editor

In addition to Dr. Joseph Schmidt, AFSC stepping down as President after the 2020-21 school year, our assistant principal Jeff Troxell ’72 is retiring. Saint Patrick alum Tim Trendel ‘94 will be rejoining the Shamrock faculty after an eleven year absence. In his return to Saint Patrick, Mr. Trendel will take on a new role as assistant principal.

As the oldest of three boys, Mr. Trendel is a natural leader of young men. “Saint Patrick is in my blood,” Mr. Trendel said. “I cannot wait to get back to work with our teachers and staff.”

Mr. Trendel said he loves to see teachers build relationships with students like the ones he had with his teachers and coaches at Saint Patrick. He talked about his relationship with the late great dean and coach, Mr. Rudy Presslak, and his hopes to build the same types of relationships with students.

During his time as a student at Saint Patrick, Mr. Trendel played baseball and was a member of the National Honor Society. Upon graduation, he attended Dominican University, where he earned his bachelor’s degree before returning to Saint Patrick in 1999 and serving as a teacher and social studies chair.

Mr. Trendel, who was inducted into the Shamrock Hall of Fame as an assistant coach for the 2006 baseball team that finished 2nd in the state, was also an assistant basketball coach.

In his time away from Saint Patrick, Mr. Trendel served as the head basketball coach, assistant baseball coach, and a social studies teacher at Providence High School before transitioning to the assistant dean position. He left Providence to become the head basketball coach at Marist High School.

During our interview with Mr. Trendel you could feel the passion and love he has for Saint Patrick just by talking to him. “I feel like this is a call from God to come home,” he said. ”This time I’m staying.”

Mr. Trendel will begin at Saint Patrick on July 1.